Dead Sea has also found mention in the historical texts of many religions, cultures and even civilisations as a place of healing. With Jordan, Palestine and Israel surrounding it, Dead Sea has been closely associated both with Islamic and Catholic religion. The healing benefits of the Dead Sea minerals have been known to man since the Greek, Roman and the Byzantine periods. In fact it is also rumoured to have provided the asphalt required for the mummification of the Egyptian Pharaohs. Of course it is only in the modern times that beauty products made from its resources have found a global flavour with people from all walks of life endorsing their goodness.
Dead Sea Beauty Resources:
There are a number of minerals found in the waters of the Dead Sea, each of which is extremely beneficial. In fact some of the minerals found are exclusive to the Dead Sea. They are found either as ions of the Dead Sea water or as compounds in the Dead Sea mud.
Ions which are found in the waters are chlorides and bromides, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium and calcium. Those found in the Dead Sea mud are in the form of oxides, trioxides and pent-oxides of:
- Silicon: Found as Silicon oxides, it is not only a beautifying mineral but also causes strengthening of the bones and connective tissues. This mineral also proves to be useful for taking care of the nails, skin and hair.
- Calcium: Calcium is also found in the form of Calcium oxides only in the Dead Sea. This mineral helps to soothe and provide relief to the skin cells by cleansing its pores and is has proven cell membrane strengthening properties.
- Aluminium: This is used both as a deodorant and an anti-perspirant as it helps to block sweat ducts thereby reducing the amount of sweat on the surface of the skin.
- Magnesium: Magnesium oxide found in the Dead Sea mud helps to bring about an acceleration in the cell metabolism thereby enabling it to properly absorb and utilise the other required essential minerals. Its anti-allergic properties make it an ideal component for beauty products especially for people with very sensitive skin types.
- Iron: Iron is required for the proper production of haemoglobin or red blood cells which in turn help to internally transform the quality of the skin and hair one possess.
- Sodium: Found both in the form of chlorides and oxides, it helps in the purification of the body by the elimination of toxic wastes. Its other benefits include hydration of the skin cells, providing nourishment for them as well as increasing their permeability.
- Iodine: This is an extremely essential mineral which facilitates the production of the thyroxin hormone. Also helps to regulate the metabolic energy of the body by ensuring proper and fast cell metabolism.
- Zinc: With is prominent and proven anti-ageing properties, it is a very popular ingredient in almost all beauty product. Zinc facilitates the growth and regeneration of the cells naturally and also helps to retain its firmness by stimulating the production of elastin and collagen which prevent the skin from sagging with growth. Its affinity for radicals makes it an ideal anti-oxidant while its anti-acne and anti-inflammatory properties enhance its medicinal value. Zinc has an amazing ability to block harmful UV rays and this enables Dead Sea visitors to float and soak up the sun without worrying about skin damage.
- Boron: The presence of this mineral offers a good cure for skin ailments like psoriasis and also psoriatic arthritis.
- Potassium: This mineral has multiple benefits. It improves oxidation in the body, stimulates nerve cells so that signals are transmitted properly, enable muscle contraction, helps to maintain the balance of water in the body, ensure proper cell nourishment and also helps to expel toxic wastes readily. It also works in tandem with Boron to prevent the recurrence of Psoriasis.
- Titanium: Available in the form of Titanium oxide, it is a natural sun screen which helps to effectively block out the harmful rays of the sun thereby protecting the exposed upper layer skin from damage.
- Sulphur: This is a mineral which is performs two very important functions. It helps in the secretion of Bile in the liver and enables the proper conversion of toxins into non toxins. It has also been found to provide relief from Eczema and Psoriasis.
- Phosphorous: It is a very effective detoxfying agent and helps enables proper cell metabolism thereby leading to the production of energy in the body. It also provides relief from anxiety, fatigue, skin sensitivity etc.
- Chlorides: Helps to maintain the pH of the body by maintaining a balance between the presence of minerals in the body and the cells. This helps to keep the body fit and healthy by improving cell metabolism.
- Bromides: A natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory agent, Bromides help to heal and relieve the body of various disorders.
- Lithium: Promoting the growth of the brain and the bones, this trace element also helps to increase focus and attention, keep obsessive compulsive behaviour in check, is an effective anti-oxidant and also has anti-ageing properties.
- Strontium: This trace element helps to strengthen the bones and performs miracles in osteoporosis.
- Bitumen: This natural tar is a wonderful anti-inflammatory agent.
Of the 21 minerals found in the Dead Sea, 12 of them namely Calcium, Zinc, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorous, Sodium, Lithium, Boron, Bromine, Strontium and Manganese are not found in any other ocean.
Dead Sea Mud
Uses And Benefits:
In the meantime, this special mud has been regularly used as a cure for many skin ailments. Irrespective of the cause of the same, the special features of this mud have been found to give almost instant relief in each and every case. In fact this mineral rich mud is so beneficial that a person using it for the first time gets hooked onto it for life. Generally used in the form of a mask, the Dead Sea mask has been known to help in the:
- Detoxification of the body: Even though this mud is extremely gentle on the skin, nevertheless it helps to exfoliate the skin and rid it of dead cells, toxins and other impurities. Using it regularly makes for a great holistic detox plan as it is suitable for all skin types including those that are oily and prone to acne.
- Increase in the circulation: Just as facial results in the stimulation of the blood circulation, a wrap or a mask made of Dead Sea mud too acts in the same way. It helps in the proper functioning of the cells of the skin by stimulating the flow of vital nutrients as well as oxygen to the cells. The increase in the blood flow also helps to take away the cellular impurities leaving the skin feeling rejuvenated.
- Improvement of the health of the skin: The overall health of the skin also improves as a result of applying the Dead Sea mud. This is because of the presence of minerals like Sodium, magnesium, Potassium, Chlorides, Calcium and iron etc. These minerals nourish the skin leaving it feeling soft, nourished, toned and cleaned. Thus it improves both the health and the appearance of the skin.
- Treatment of skin diseases: It is an excellent aid in the treatment of certain skin conditions like Psoriasis, Eczema, vitiligo, atopic dermatitis etc. The Dead Sea mud has the ability to work wonders when it is used in conjunction with other Dead Sea therapies like Dead Sea bathing, sun-bathing on its beach etc.
- Relieving aches and pains: The therapeutic nature of the Dead Sea mud helps to treat certain rheumatic conditions. In fact people with rheumatoid arthritis or even osteoporosis have been found to get immense relief from this mud. It is also useful in relaxing sore muscles of the body thereby bringing relief from aches and pains. Other conditions which have also experienced improvement after using this mud are sports injuries, fibromyalgia, bursitis, orthopaedic surgeries etc.
Dead Sea Mud Products:
Dead Sea mud is generally used in two ways to get its maximum benefit. They are:
- As facial masks which help in the purification of the facial skin by
- Removing the dead cells and toxins from it,
- Unclogging the pores enabling the skin to breathe properly,
- Relaxing the facial muscles and increasing their elasticity and
- Stimulating the cell rejuvenation and regeneration process.
- As body wraps which benefits the whole body by
- Giving an even tone to the whole body by acting as an antioxidant,
- Moisturising the skin and giving it a healthy glow,
- Increasing blood circulation and giving it an energy boost,
- Relieving aches and pains and
- Restoring the natural balance of minerals in the body.
Dead Sea mud works best when used on a regular basis and coupling it with other spa therapies. Some of the products which are readily available and can easily be incorporated into a person’s daily beauty regime are:
- Dead Sea Mud Mask: There are separate masks available for the hair and the skin. These masks are non-irritating, go well even with sensitive skin and generally have no side or after effects. In fact some of these masks are made by combining the Dead Sea mud with other natural ingredients like chamomile, allantoin, Aloe Vera, Jojoba oil etc., thereby increasing its benefits.
- Mud Soaps: These bars of Dead Sea mud help to gently exfoliate the skin every time a bath is taken. Thus it is a great way to experience the benefits of this special mud without having to take up any extra beauty regime.
|Dead Sea Mud hand and foot cream|
- Dead Sea Mud hand and foot cream: Using this helps to keep the hands and feet nourished and hydrated.
- Cleansing milk for the face and neck: These help to wash away dirt as well as makeup thereby making the skin ready for getting nourished.
- Face Cream: Face creams made from Dead Sea mud make for a multi-vitamin skin care product which keeps the face nourished and radiant looking throughout the day.
Dead Sea Salt
Uses And Benefits:
Benefits of the Dead Sea salt have been known to man since time immemorial. The uniqueness of the Dead Sea salt stems from the fact that Dead Sea contains about 27% salt as compared to 3% in the other oceans and seas. Each of the salts present is immensely beneficial to the human body. In fact these salts are essential for the proper functioning of the human body. Some of the well known benefits are:
- Magnesium is an excellent mineral for combating stress. It is well-known that floating in the Dead Sea aids relaxation thereby reducing stress and also having a calming effect on the nervous system. Magnesium is also known to combat fluid retention in the body and slow the process of ageing of the skin.
- Calcium is another element which helps to prevent fluid retention. It also helps to stimulate blood circulation and most importantly it helps in the strengthening of the bones and the nails.
- Potassium is an excellent body energiser and helps to give the body an energy boost. It also helps in keeping the moisture balance of the skin intact. Potassium is so important for the proper functioning of the human body that it should be mandatorily replenished after an energetic bout of exercising.
- Bromides again have a soothing effect on the muscles thereby enabling them to relax and lose their stiffness.
- Sodium plays a very important part in enabling the proper functioning of the body’s immune system by maintaining the balance of the elements of the lymphatic fluid.
- Chlorides also facilitate proper balance between the minerals within the cells and the internal environs of the human body.
Other than these benefits coming from individual minerals present in the Dead Sea salts, a bath in the waters of the Dead Sea has been known to bring about an improvement in certain health conditions like tendonitis, osteoarthritis, psoriasis and its related symptoms like itching, scaling etc. The best part of a Dead Sea salt bath treatment is that it has no side effects and thereby there are no risks involved.
Dead Sea Salt Products:
|Dead Sea bath salts|
- Dead Sea salt soap: When made into a cake of soap it not only helps to impart all the goodness of its rich mineral contents but also helps in the exfoliation of dead skin cells.
- Dead Sea salt scrubs: This again is a great exfoliating
agent and also helps to increase blood circulation as well as nourish
the skin. One very important aspect of these scrubs is that they do not
make the skin dry but keep it hydrated and moist.
Dead Sea salt gels
- Dead Sea salt gels: Liquid gels made from Dead Sea salts have a high concentration of minerals thereby making them excellent products for the detoxification and renewal of the skin cells.
Dead Sea salt products are compatible with all skin types but care must be taken to check out the other ingredients that are present in them. Some other points which need to be kept in mind especially while buying Dead Sea salts in their raw form are:
- Dead Sea salts are never absolutely while in colour due to the presence of various minerals in them. White Dead Sea salts are generally processed salts from which most of the minerals get removed during the process and hence offer no additional benefits other than being good exfoliating agents.
- Conducting a patch test also proves the genuineness of Dead Sea salts. These salts being anti-allergic will never give rise to itching, reddishness or rashes.
Historically Cleopatra was well known for her beauty and the secret behind her seemingly eternal youth was none other than the Dead Sea. In fact she is credited to have set up the first spa on the shores of this sea to enhance and retain her beauty. With such an illustrious historical background and a scientifically proven track record in the modern times, Dead Sea is undoubtedly a vast never-ending reservoir of beauty benefits and secrets. The increasing popularity of cosmetic products made from Dead Sea salts and mud is proof enough of the genuineness of its claims.